Acupuncture for Fertility
Click here for a video of Mary speaking on 'The Morning Show' on TV3 about the benefits of acupuncture towards fertility and conception.
Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) can increase the chances of becoming pregnant. It can be useful for individuals or couples who hope for a natural conception or for those who are undergoing Assisted Reproduction Technology (IVF, IUI, etc.,). Research has shown that having acupuncture treatment in conjunction with ART increases women’s chances of becoming pregnant. It is important to realise acupuncture can be of benefit to males to enhance fertility as it can help improve the quality and motility of the sperm. While 3 months is the optimum time to begin it is never too late to start so begin as soon as you can.
How Acupuncture can enhance fertility.
- Regulates the menstrual cycle
- Regulates hormones by reducing stress
- Improves the thickness of the uterine wall lining
- Reduces uterine contractions after the embryo transfer
- Improves blood flow to the ovaries and uterus
- Improves ovarian function – encourages the production of follicles and enhances their quality
- Enhances the immune system
- Improves sperm parameters ( takes at least 3 months)
Acupuncture and Natural Conception
If you are attempting to become pregnant through natural means, acupuncture can benefit you by balancing the flow of Qi (energy) and blood in the body. When Qi and blood are not flowing smoothly clots, blocked tubes, premenstrual pain and endometriosis can occur.
Stress is a big factor in infertility and acupuncture can help the body relax while stress management techniques can also be of benefit.
Diet and nutrition are of the utmost importance to both male and females for optimal results in fertility.
Acupuncture and Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART)
For the best results acupuncture should begin at least 3 months prior to ART procedure. Generally weekly treatments are advised. For optimal results a treatment is given 12-24 hours before and after embryo transfer. Mary is associated with Kilkenny Fertility Clinic which offers treatments onsite before and after embryo transfer.
What Symptoms Acupuncture can treat in relation to Infertility
- Blocked Tubes
- Irregular Menstrual Cycle
- Premenstrual Cramps, pain and clots
- Lack of ovulation
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS)
- Low Sperm Count
- Poor Sperm Motility Rates